recipes for feeding the toddling masses...creating and posting happy and pleasurable eats for the mamas and the papas, the babies and everyone in between.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Strawberry, beet and spinach smoothie- kid approved!


I pretty much make this everyday for either a breakfast treat, snack or just when the mood strikes. First I juice the veggies and then I add the rest to the blender with the frozen fruit. The kid loves it, downs it and asks for more. To be honest, he has no clue of what is in it. Am I lying? Of course not, its just that he has never asked... he trusts me to not put those horrible vegetables in his beloved smoothie, hee. I stick with same ratio just about every time I make this. Occasionally, there isn't much sweetness for one reason or another and I add just a touch of organic agave nectar to the kids. I like mine more on the veggie side. A handful of flax seeds is also a nice little addition as well. I omit the flax seeds for the kid since flax seeds help to keep those bowels healthy if you know what I mean and he'd be in the bathroom not a happy camper. Oh, and the promise of pink pee- from the beets- is pretty awesome to a 4 1.2 year old.

Enjoy!

1 peeled whole organic beet
2 carrots, cleaned
2 stalks celery
2 cup organic washed spinach
1 whole organic apple, washed
2 handfuls organic whole frozen strawberries
1 handful organic frozen blackberries
small handful of frozen pineapple tidbits (TraderJoe's make some seriously yummy frozen fruits!)
1 handful of frozen mango
juice of 1 organic orange
sprinkling of frozen blueberries

In a juicer, juice beets, carrots, spinach, celery and apple.

Pour juice into blender and squeeze in orange juice. Add in frozen fruits and blend. Drink and be healthy!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger mchristopher said...

OMG!! That cracks me up! It has never dawned on me to promise pink pee as an incentive...this will soooo work! Can't wait to try it! Thanks!

11:47 AM

 
Anonymous paul smith said...

nice post

3:56 AM

 
Anonymous Chris said...

I never know how to make my kids eat beet roots - they hate them. I certainly will try this, very promising!

6:00 AM

 
Anonymous Zojirushi Rice Cooker said...

Definitely a clever way to get the kiddos to eat their veggies. Fruit has a good way of masking the taste :)

6:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home